Make Noise - LxD
The Make Noise - LxD is one of the more affordable sound-processing modules from Make Noise. Taking the concept of the lowpass gate (a VCF and VCA-combo first coined in by Don Buchla himself), you can add a new stage after any sound by which you could "pluck" it instead of just opening and closing it with an envelope. The module is also fine-tuned for contemporary, more harmonically rich music structures.
The Make Noise - LxD is two Low Pass Gates in a 4hp module designed to operate independently or combined to form the back end of a synth voice.
CH. 1 is a mildly-resonant 12db/ Octave low pass response and CH. 2 a non-resonant 6db/ Octave low pass response.
The output of CH. 1 is normalled to the input of CH. 2 putting the two channels in series to form the VCF to VCA arrangement made popular by many classic monosynths of the 1970’s. The sound of the LxD is quite unique from the VCF/ VCA in those classic synths though, as it is fine tuned to compliment the more harmonically complex sound sources common in the modular synthesizers of today.
- Classic VCF->VCA arrangement in small 4hp module
- STRIKE INput allows use of Gate signal to trigger Low Pass Gate circuit, "plucking" or "striking" the vactrol
- Low noise, low distortion, smooth, natural-sounding circuit
- Direct coupled, process audio or control signals
- Utilizes 2 vactrols
- Pairs well with STO and MATHS